[PD-dev] [PD] external questions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 24 12:07:40 CEST 2007

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing my second external, an arpeggiator called "arp". I know I
> was encouraged to write it as an abstraction, but the exact features
> that I wanted seemed too overwhelming for a pd-newbie.
>
> Anyways, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Whenever I instantiate it in pd I get "consistency check failed:
> class_addmethod: arp_bang: bad argument types" in the pd console.
> However the external seems to work just fine. If someone clever could
> look at the code an spot the mistake, I'd be most happy! Basically I
> have four float-inlets where the first should also accept "bang"-messages.

1. most likely this is the culprit:

class_addmethod(arp_class,
		    (t_method)arp_bang, gensym("bang"),
		    A_DEFFLOAT, 0);

with this code you say that arp_bang() expects a float as an argument.
but arp_bang() does not!!
(and btw, you already have added a bang-method with the class_addbang()
for arp_bang()

2. it might be a better idea to use "static" for all functions that you
don't want to export (all but the _setup() function(s))

3. pd-dev is the list... :-)

fmasd.r
IOhannes