[PD-dev] [comport] like object for usb?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 25 02:43:26 CEST 2007

You could make something based on libusb, but USB is pretty
complicated, so you'll want something higher level.  Perhaps these
devices are actually USB-serial or USB-CDC (like serial).  Then they
would not be hard to use, provided you have a driver to make them
show up like a serial port.

.hc

On Sep 24, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Thomas O Fredericks wrote:

> Nope, not possible. USB is not like a com port (even thought you
> can emulate a com port with USB). USB requires a specific driver
> tailored to the target device (USB communication is not similar to
> rs-232 serial communication, the main difference being that an end
> device can not send data to the computer without a direct request
> from the computer).
>
> Tom
>
> On 9/24/07, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking at rs232 controllable PTX systems, and they seem to be
> more
> and more usb and less and less rs232.
>
> So is there anything like [comport] that allows one to send bytes
> to usb
> devices? I think a general mechanism, like [comport] that would
> work for
> all usb devices would be better than a slew of objects for each
> specific
> usb device...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> .b.

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.