[PD-dev] RE : [PD] Manual conversion of a Pure Data file in Max/MSP

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 26 08:48:54 CEST 2007

CUNHA Claudio wrote:

> But I must to convert a PD patch in Max/MSP and the problem is that I am not the person who creates the PD patch...
> If I don't know the original order of the PD patch how can I use the triggers

well, if the original Pd patch does not use triggers to explicitely
define the execution order, then it is plainly buggy.

so you are basically requesting a converter that fixes bugs for you.
while this would certainly be a cool thing to have (the software society
is waiting for ages for such a feature...), there is none.

you might still get away with that (e.g. if you don't trigger any race
conditions)

ifthe converted patch is borken you have serveral options:
- kick the upstream author to write patches with fewer bugs
- fix the pd-patch by hand and submit the changes to the upstream author
- fix the pd-patch by hand everytime the upstream author releases a new
version
- fix the max-patch by hand everytime the upstream author releases a new
version

i would go for one of the first two options, as they imply less work on
the long run.
if you are doing a one-time conversion, it doesn't really matter (but
you might still want to kick the upstream author)

mfga.sdr
IOhannes