[PD-dev] Pd code formatter?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 23:51:14 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to use indent or some tool to reformat code to
> match Miller's code formatting?

As long as one level of indentation is more to the right than the
enclosing level, formatting isn't so much of a big deal. What's a big deal
is people who use multiple different interpretations of the tab character
in the same file. Afair, this happened in devel_0_39 quite a bit.

>  It would be good to have a standard code format, and since the one that
> Miller uses it difficult to configure with many editors and non-standard

Miller's indentation style is pretty commonplace, and his brace placement
is even more commonplace. I don't mean that I think that it's good to use
it in general, but as long as you want to submit patches to Miller, yes,
that's the one to use for sure.

> it would be quite useful to have some automated tool to make sure
> everything is in order.

Personally I don't think that automatic formatting is good when it comes
to communicating code between people who use the formatting to carry
meaning; but between people who want to cancel the potential
meaningfulness of formatting, an automatic formatter is the perfect tool,
as you can't get any extra information out of anything completely
predictable.