[PD-dev] ... introducing myself. was Re: can pdvjtools have a place in your cvs external repository?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 2 17:44:16 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Sergi Lario wrote:

> Four years later, without being sure about what to study i decided to
> start Maths in the University of Barcelona.

You will find that even though Miller won the Putnam and has a doctorate
in Math, and even though I have a bachelor's in Math too, it's still rare
to see Sylow subgroups and Noether isomorphisms around here. At best I
could find one guy in one conf who was using pd in relationship to "free
monoïds"... I have the impression that it was a once-in-a-lifetime
happening.

I try to plug isomorphisms around, when I can, but still no luck for
Noether's theorems... :}

Still there is quite a bit of other kinds of interesting math that is more
commonplace in pd... especially FFT, but also, I did use
eigendecomposition as a way to convert an ellipse equation to an angle and
two radiuses.

> I spent i couple of years without before i left, but there i learnt
> math's abstractions and programming basics, that was worth it!

IMHO, a lot of computer science and software engineering could count as
math, given how much the topic of math has expanded in the last ~200
years... I have the impression that the last 50 years were pretty much the
addition of "except stuff related to computers" to the definition of what
math is. The problem with that is that those topics are also related to
the understanding of the processes of math using math itself - making math
more recursive and "self-aware"...

Anyway, I still think that a math education is interesting, as long as you
didn't limit yourself to what you had to study for the exam, and that you
try to mentally connect math to as much of your experience as possible
instead of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_%28psychology%29
(a kind of insanity that is considered perfectly normal when it comes
to some university degrees ... ;-)

I think that there's plenty of room to make pd more "mathy" but that
non-math people might not necessarily recognise those concepts as being
math, and a lot of them have mental association of the word "math" with
the situation of just following rules without making sense of them, for
the benefit of getting good grades from bad teachers...