[PD-dev] enabling compiler optimization/strict aliasing

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 19 19:51:21 CEST 2007

Hey all,

I am bringing up "strict aliasing" again since it's something that it
would be nice to have settled.  Basically strict aliasing is required
in C99 and it seems to be the standard thing to do these days.  That
means that things like gcc generate much better code with -fstrict-
aliasing is on.

But don't take my word for it, here's a good article all about it:

http://www.cellperformance.com/mike_acton/2006/06/
understanding_strict_aliasing.html#benefits

Currently, these files trigger the strict aliasing warning,
everything else seems to be fine from my checks.  I don't know if all
of these have problems when optimizations are running.

externals/freeverb~/freeverb~.c
footils/knob/knob.c
iemlib1/src/iem_sqrt4~.c
mrpeach/osc/packOSC.c
mrpeach/osc/unpackOSC.c
pd/src/d_math.c
pd/src/d_soundfile.c
shared/common/binport.c
sickle/bitand.c
sickle/bitnot.c
sickle/bitor.c
sickle/bitshift.c
sickle/bitxor.c
sigpack/source/freqshift~.c

----

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.