[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1818163 ] Buffer Overrun in Pool

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 22 22:54:44 CEST 2007

Bugs item #1818163, was opened at 2007-10-22 13:54
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by lukeiannini
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=1818163&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: externals
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I have run into what appears to be a limitation with [pool], namely
that it crashes with something around ~780 characters loaded from a
file as values in a key.

I ran into this loading a particularly long list in Memento.  I've
attached a patch and a file from which to load to experience the
crash.  The file is just a little over the character count needed to
crash it (it seems to be between 780 and 800?).  It does not seem to
be a function of the number of elements in the list, but rather the
length of the text in those elements.  Shorten a few of the values in
the list and it loads right up.

I'm also pretty sure this is a per-key limitation, as memento's lddir
first loads files into /tmp before copying them into the proper key.
I've used that with a file that was just under the crashing length and
that worked fine (loaded into two keys).

I have tested this on both my PPC Mac and my Intel Mac; maybe others
can check it out too?

(also to clarify, the problem occurs when loading data from a file;
data of any length (that I've tried) makes it into the pool without
issue, and saves without issue)

After leaving it for a while on my G5,
the console started to fill with messages like so:
"pool - format mismatch encountered, skipped line 40074"
with an ever increasing line number.

I left it for about 10 minutes after that began and it showed no sign
of stopping.

(from Thomas Grill:)
It's a typical buffer overrun (caused by a loooong line of data),
making quick-and-dirty code choke.