[PD-dev] SVN?

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 03:50:40 CEST 2007

> The most technically amazing system in the world is useless if people
> in question don't want to spend the extra effort to learn how to use it.
>
> It sounds to me like the best system is SVN as the core repository,
> then people can use git if they want, and sync it to SVN.  Miller
> currently does this with Git->CVS.

I still don't think that git is all that hard to use once you
understand the distributed paradigm, but in any case I think this
would be a perfectly safe decision.

One thing I've learned more recently about version control is that
it's not actually _all_ that hard to switch from one SCM to another,
since there are usually conversion scripts in every direction
imaginable.  (Except, for som reason, Anything->CVS, heheh..), so I
think it's worth trying out at least.

Just keep in mind that converting from subversion to something else in
the future will be easiest if you stick to the standard
/trunk/tag/branch structure.  One of the features of svn that I just
love is how there are no "modules", but instead every subfolder is
like its own repository.  However, this can also allow you to create
structures that are difficult for other SCM systems to interpret when
converting (since there is technically no difference between a branch
and a tag), so sticking to /tags and /branches at the root level may
be safest option.

Steve