[PD-dev] [PD] font troubles WAS Re: working towards Pd-0.40.3-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 26 06:15:44 CEST 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>> I agree it would be excellent to have the font come out the same size
>> on all platforms (and also that it agree at least approximately with
>> the sizes of the old fonts used).  But, as a fallback, when the font
>> shows up at the wrong size, I think it's better to fall back to the
>> old behavior of adjustin the boxes to the text.
>
> I'm beginning to think that it would be better to have box sizes
> fit to the size of font that one would like to have, rather than
> the box size that one gets. This way, patchcords lie exactly where
> they were meant to go.

Yes, if the font info was saved to the patch, and everything was
rendered the same on all platforms, that would definitely be the best
option.  My key point is that consistent rendering is more important
than some flexibility in box sizes, IMHO.

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith