[PD-dev] working towards Pd-0.40.3-extended

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Oct 27 09:28:31 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> Now with Pd-0.39.3-extended finally out, I'd like to talk about
> setting the timetable for the next Pd-extended release.

Would this also be a time to talk about possible structural changes to
address some problems of Pd-extended? One problem I see is that the
releases are too old. pd-0.39 is from 2005. Of course one can try
shorter release cycles, but people are only so fast, and we're facing
a two-year delay here, not just a couble of weeks, so I believe, some
"mechanisms" may need to change as well, not just policies.

One thing that seems to hold back releases for years is the sheer size
of Pd-extended. I brought this up in the past, but I believe,
Pd-extended should be split into two packages, one including MSP-Pd,
patched, and another for the actual extensions (externals,
abstractions, docs, ...). I think, the build system already can do
this, it's just the packaging that doesn't do that.

Ciao