[PD-dev] working towards Pd-0.40.3-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 27 15:28:33 CEST 2007

On Oct 27, 2007, at 6:15 AM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> On Sat, October 27, 2007 11:52 am, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> (...) there are no autobuilds of just the externals. Making these
>> could
>> be a first step towards a two-fold pd-extended release.
>
> I support that idea, especially for it modular perspective: One
> could use
> the "extensions" module either with (the) Pd-extended ("module") or
> with
> vanilla Pd. I even suggest to make parts of extension module (ie.
> abstractions, externals, docs) as sub-modules.

I am personally not interested in splitting it up, it defeats one of
the main purposes of Pd-extended.  The key idea is that Pd-extended
is a common platform with a known set of libraries, etc. that is the
same anywhere it's installed.  I know that if I use a library on my
computer, anyone else can use my patch regardless of their computer.
I never use Pd without libraries.  People have written lots of useful
code, we should use it, and it should be easy to use.

But anyone wants to make an externals package, don't let me stop you.

Lastly, building Pd objects is not a complicated thing.  People have
just made it complicated by adding intricate customized build systems.

----

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic