[PD-dev] working towards Pd-0.40.3-extended

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Oct 27 18:33:44 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> The thing that holds back Pd-extended is that very few people help to
> work on a proper release cycle, meaning make a release branch, do
> lots of testing, and fix the bugs.  With more help, this would go
> faster.  I just didn't want to release with showstopper bugs.  Sadly
> I had to, Gem on GNU/Linux new ATI cards is almost unusable, as Roman
> can attest.

Well, that's what I'm talking about: bugs in one part like Gem will
hold up everything else. It's like pd-extended-huge is trying to grab
that magical moment in time, when everything works. And even that is
not consistent: IIR the Gem in pd-extended is much newer than the Pd
in pd-extended. So on one hand everthing may fall apart again when
starting to work on whatever is considered version number 0.40, on the
other hand it seems an arbitrary decision which versions of certain
components get chosen.

And then, assuming somebody can fix Gem on Ati cards, it's not easily
possible to upgrade just Gem in Pd-extended's monolithic build.

> Also, I don't switch to Miller's next version till he's done with the
> bugfix releases.  It's a lot of work to switch to new sources from
> Miller, and even more to try to track his changes.

Okay, I can understand that and it sounds sensible.

Ciao