[PD-dev] pdp's mmx support

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Oct 29 21:23:07 CET 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 3:29 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Do MMX and SSE have different instruction sets?  If so, is SSE
>> preferred over MMX?
>
> yes they have different instruction sets: MMX can only handle
> integer values, while SSE can only handle floating point values.
> (only SSE2 added floating point support)
>
> SSE2 is generally preferred over MMX since you can handle even more
> data with single instructions (and/or other types)
>
> otoh, what do we want to prove with this?

I just wanted to know whether it would be useful to enable MMX
instructions in a build that is tailored towards SSE2.

> i remember well that i had to remove the automatic use of SSE2
> instructions in Gem because upset users (the most prominent of them
> being you) demanded it, since not all hardware supported it at that
> time.

I believe I just wanted default builds to not use SSE2 so it could be
widely deployed.  Hopefully you didn't remove that code (I doubt you
did ;).  It would be very nice to have full SSE2 builds of Pd-extended.

.ch

> virtually each and every x86 based machine has support for MMX though.
> there are still many machines around that do not have SSE2 support.
>
> fgmadsr.
> IOhannes

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic