[PD-dev] get canvas names in Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 4 23:26:13 CET 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Is there any existing way to get canvas names (.x%lx.c) from within Pd?

I'm pretty sure that you have to write an external for that. Fortunately,
it can be simply a few lines, if it's only going to look up its own
parent. You have to remember the parent using getcurrentcanvas in the
constructor, then output that value when banged. You can store it either
as a t_canvas* or directly the resulting t_symbol* or t_atom, but the
former is more versatile, as you could add extra methods to get extra
variants, such as just .x%lx for example.