[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 6 23:05:53 CET 2007

zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

>ok, i now did following tests:
>
>bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from pd-extended:
>   the error occurs
>
>bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from my local disk:
>   the error occurs
>
>bin/pd vanilla with Gem from pd-extended:
>   the error does not occur
>
>bin/pd vanilla with Gem from my local disk:
>   the error does not occur
>

>so the problem seems to be related to (not necessarily caused by)
>something in the pd-extended binary.
>the first thing that comes to my mind is still related to "string"s,
>and this is unfortunately mrpeach's string-patch.

All the string patch does is establish a string type and let pd route string
messages to their handlers if they exist (so far only the [str] external has
them). If you don't use that type, it should have no effect. It doesn't
really have anything to do with strings either, the string atoms are just
pointers to something. It would be interesting to see how that could
interfere with Gem...possibly there's a name clash somewhere, or Gem is
expecting to see a specific memory structure within pd, say where the list
of types is maintained.

Martin