[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 7 10:18:29 CET 2007

Martin Peach wrote:
> zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>
>> ok, i now did following tests:
>>
>> bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from pd-extended:
>>   the error occurs
>>
>> bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from my local disk:
>>   the error occurs
>>
>> bin/pd vanilla with Gem from pd-extended:
>>   the error does not occur
>>
>> bin/pd vanilla with Gem from my local disk:
>>   the error does not occur
>>

>> so the problem seems to be related to (not necessarily caused by)
>> something in the pd-extended binary.
>> the first thing that comes to my mind is still related to "string"s,
>> and this is unfortunately mrpeach's string-patch.
>
> All the string patch does is establish a string type and let pd route string
> messages to their handlers if they exist (so far only the [str] external has
> them). If you don't use that type, it should have no effect. It doesn't
> really have anything to do with strings either, the string atoms are just
> pointers to something. It would be interesting to see how that could
> interfere with Gem...possibly there's a name clash somewhere, or Gem is
> expecting to see a specific memory structure within pd, say where the list
> of types is maintained.

no, Gem uses pd's gpointer for it's data (which per se is a problem, but
it is unrelated to the name clash)

i have finally made this test:
use pd from CVS and applied _only_ the string-patch (patch-#1646604)
(ok, this is not entirely true, i have also applied 2 very minor patches
(#1826144 and #1822943) which do not have _anything_ to do with strings
(e.g. the symbol "string" does not appear anywhere...)

i compile this version of Pd and load my Gem et voila:
class_addmethod: 0xb7c06540
consistency check failed: class_addmethod: textoutline_string: bad
argument types

i consider this as prove that the problem is related to both Gem and
your string-patch (and nothing else)

apart from that, Pd behaves weird now:
if i create a messagebox [string hallo( and click on it (with nothing
connected) i get an error "error: messresponder: no method for string so
far..."

mfg.asdr
IOhannes