[PD-dev] Connecting up an SQL Database to PD

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 7 10:37:58 CET 2007

Hallo,

> Pre-emptive threads are by their very nature non-deterministic
> because there is no way to guarantee that the things in different
> threads will execute with the same order everytime.  Yes, the order
> that you send the messages won't change if you have one thread for
> the message sending, but once you have the thread, you can't
> guarantee that the database will return it's answer within on logical
> Pd clock tick.  Pd/Max is built around this idea, that each object
> does it's thing within one clock tick.

I wonder, what use is a database result if it comes five minutes after
I sent the retrieval command? The only use for such an object would be
to slowly fill another container like [textfile], which has
guaranteed, deterministic response time. OTOH if a db-object would be
allowed to send results to its outlets non-deterministically, it would
be useless as a replacement for deterministic containers like
[textfile]. So we'd need to versions of that db-class, either two
classes or one class with a switch. I think, the deterministic version
is more useful, and if you use a fast/local DB, it's about as reliable
as hard disk access or netreceive.

Ciao