[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 8 21:53:19 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>On Nov 6, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>>zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>>
>>>ok, i now did following tests:
>>>
>>>bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from pd-extended:
>>>   the error occurs
>>>
>>>bin/pd from pd-extended with Gem from my local disk:
>>>   the error occurs
>>>
>>>bin/pd vanilla with Gem from pd-extended:
>>>   the error does not occur
>>>
>>>bin/pd vanilla with Gem from my local disk:
>>>   the error does not occur
>>>

>>>so the problem seems to be related to (not necessarily caused by)
>>>something in the pd-extended binary.
>>>the first thing that comes to my mind is still related to "string"s,
>>>and this is unfortunately mrpeach's string-patch.
>>
>>All the string patch does is establish a string type and let pd  route
>>string
>>messages to their handlers if they exist (so far only the [str]  external
>>has
>>them). If you don't use that type, it should have no effect. It  doesn't
>>really have anything to do with strings either, the string atoms  are just
>>pointers to something. It would be interesting to see how that could
>>interfere with Gem...possibly there's a name clash somewhere, or  Gem is
>>expecting to see a specific memory structure within pd, say where  the
>>list
>>of types is maintained.
>
>Unfortunately, looks like I found another similar bug when loading
>[widget].  But [widget] fails to load at all:
>
>consistency check failed: widget_anything
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>consistency check failed: widget_anything
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>consistency check failed: widget_anything
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>consistency check failed: widget_symbol
>widget's error: creation failure
>... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
>                 see standard error for details
>widget's error: creation failure
>                 see standard error for details
>widget q snd -width 100
>... couldn't create

Well OK, I'm still not clear on why the string patch should be the cause any
of that.
Yesterday I committed a change to the patch which just involves renaming
string to blob.
I would like to know if the problems go away with that. (What's a
consistency check? It's c++, right?)

>I checked this patch into the branch-v0-40-extended pd/src, so  Martin, if
>you want to work directly there to fix this, please feel  free to commit to
>that branch.  Just make sure that you don't commit  to MAIN :).  Then
>ultimately, the patch should be updated.

Which patch did you check in?

Martin