[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 9 13:47:31 CET 2007

hi

Martin Peach wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, looks like I found another similar bug when loading
>> [widget].  But [widget] fails to load at all:
>
> Well OK, I'm still not clear on why the string patch should be the cause
> any of that.

i don't think that your string patch has anything to do with _that_ one.

> Yesterday I committed a change to the patch which just involves renaming
> string to blob.

i think the problem is, that your patch introduces "reserved" symbols in
the first place.
personally i would remove the entire [string <...>( message and replace
it by a [list <...>( (don't use a special selector)

> I would like to know if the problems go away with that. (What's a
> consistency check? It's c++, right?)

no, it's a pd thing. you also get this when you use weird (that is: non
pd-ish, user-defined) atoms and pd doesn't know how to handle them.

i am currently thinking of a proposal for user-defined atom-types, which
can be registered like classes and then be used by objects like
[str],... and (that is the important thing) do not interfere with each
other.
i need this for a separate project, and it would be a cool feature for
pd to have.

fmgsard.
IOhannes