[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 9 19:29:05 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 7:47 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi
>
> Martin Peach wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, looks like I found another similar bug when
>> Well OK, I'm still not clear on why the string patch should be the
>> cause any of that.
>
> i don't think that your string patch has anything to do with _that_
> one.
>
>> Yesterday I committed a change to the patch which just involves
>> renaming string to blob.
>
> i think the problem is, that your patch introduces "reserved"
> symbols in the first place.
> personally i would remove the entire [string <...>( message and
> replace it by a [list <...>( (don't use a special selector)
>
>> I would like to know if the problems go away with that. (What's a
>> consistency check? It's c++, right?)
>
> no, it's a pd thing. you also get this when you use weird (that is:
> non pd-ish, user-defined) atoms and pd doesn't know how to handle
> them.
>

> i am currently thinking of a proposal for user-defined atom-types,
> which can be registered like classes and then be used by objects
> like [str],... and (that is the important thing) do not interfere
> with each other.
> i need this for a separate project, and it would be a cool feature
> for pd to have.

What kind of other atom types are you thinking?  Like int?  I suppose
to make Pd into a full-fledged programming language, it would be
useful to be able to support things like 128-bit floats, 32-bit ints,
etc..

It would be good to have a clean way to support new atom types like
strings, it also seems that this feature could open up a big can of
worms.

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson