[PD-dev] gem vs. mrpeach strings?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 9 19:44:36 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>On Nov 9, 2007, at 7:47 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > Martin Peach wrote:

> >> Well OK, I'm still not clear on why the string patch should be the
> >> cause any of that.
> >
> > i don't think that your string patch has anything to do with _that_
> > one.
> >
> >> Yesterday I committed a change to the patch which just involves
> >> renaming string to blob.
> >
> > i think the problem is, that your patch introduces "reserved"
> > symbols in the first place.
> > personally i would remove the entire [string <...>( message and
> > replace it by a [list <...>( (don't use a special selector)
> >
> >> I would like to know if the problems go away with that. (What's a
> >> consistency check? It's c++, right?)
> >
> > no, it's a pd thing. you also get this when you use weird (that is:
> > non pd-ish, user-defined) atoms and pd doesn't know how to handle
> > them.
> >

> > i am currently thinking of a proposal for user-defined atom-types,
> > which can be registered like classes and then be used by objects
> > like [str],... and (that is the important thing) do not interfere
> > with each other.
> > i need this for a separate project, and it would be a cool feature
> > for pd to have.
>
>What kind of other atom types are you thinking?  Like int?  I suppose
>to make Pd into a full-fledged programming language, it would be
>useful to be able to support things like 128-bit floats, 32-bit ints,
>etc..
>
>It would be good to have a clean way to support new atom types like
>strings, it also seems that this feature could open up a big can of
>worms.

I don't know why my posts are not getting through but the last one I sent
explained where the consistency check error is coming from, and there is
just no way it could be caused by the string type unless the patch is being
improperly applied or gem is trying to use a string type, but then it should
cause pd to not compile. Why did the string patch work for everything except
gem for the past 6 months if it supposedly breaks everything?

Martin