[PD-dev] overriding "internals"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Nov 10 20:07:23 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> probably because of [append] already exists?
>
> Ok, but you can use a different word.  Why do these things need a
> special syntax of a meta object and then another selector?
>
> Also consider [trim].  If [list trim] will trim "symbol" from a
> symbol message, then it's not doing anything with lists.

i think it is the other way round: a symbol _is_ a list (with only 1
element), the destinction between message "symbol bla" and "list bla"
was weird in the first place and is now slowly going away.

otoh, this does not contradict you: if everything (that is: everything
'ordinary', not special messages like [set bla("), then we don't
necessarily need special objects called [list ...]

nevertheless, i don't know what we are currently discussing: [openpanel]
is called [openpanel], [pd] is called [page], and [list trim] is called
[list trim].

miller is unlikely to change that anytime soon (though i still would
like him to add aliases [list/trim],...).

after all it is a language, and for the most part of it, you just have
to learn the vocabulary.

mfsd.r
IOhannes