[PD-dev] PD Strings

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 12 19:53:16 CET 2007

Yes it was me...
If you have the extended version you could try mrpeach/str to see how it
works. It was intended as a way to send any arbitrary strings of bytes
through pd without having pd try to interpret them until  the appropriate
time. The atom is just a pointer to a block of memory and its length. The
external that uses the type has to maintain the memory itself because pd
doesn't know anything about it, it just passes string messages between
objects.
In the end it may just be easier as Miller said to use lists of floats on
[0...255] together with objects to convert to and from ascii, etc, apart
from the fact that lists of floats use a lot more memory than a simple block
of bytes and the associated packing and unpacking of floats takes more time,
but then if you're looking for efficient implementation, that's not what pd
is about.

Martin