[PD-dev] Fwd: Fwd: Connecting up an SQL Database to PD

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 09:04:28 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:05:47 -0600
"Mike McGonagle" <mjmogo at gmail.com> wrote:

Apologies for the shallow input, just scanning and speaking my thoughts...

> > > 1. I would strongly suggest not including the sqlite sources with the
> > > sqlite4pd sources.

Yes, modularity, maintainability.

> > > 2. I think having the SQL query provided as an object creation argument
> > > is a really bad idea.  Wouldn't it be better to just pass the query in
> > > as a list

It seems mean to leave all formatting to the user, but that's most flexible
in practice.

> > list would basically be UNFORMATTED data, and it would require the PD
> > code to interpret the result sets.

KISS. Object should know as little about databases as it can, it's all down
to the object user and the service behind the object, object == gateway,
nothing much more.

--
Use the source