[PD-dev] Fwd: PD Strings

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 12 20:40:22 CET 2007

Mike McGonagle wrote:
>Thanks, Martin, I will have to look at the other thread that is
>discussing this. I should have look at that a little closer.

In that other thread I mentioned that I've changed the name to A_BLOB from
A_STRING because it's not really about strings. There's also the issue of
the symbol "string" (now "blob") being reserved by my patch, which I think
is not necessary so it's going to get changed next time I have time to
comprehend what's involved.

>I was curious about this as a way of handling doing some SQL
>processing, but then again, if this is not going to be part of the
>main, then I wonder if it is a bit too soon to actually expect this to
>be there in subsequent releases.

I suppose if people actually use it, it will be adopted.
It should be useful for handling arbitrary blocks of data, even if they are
not organized as bytes.

Martin