[PD-dev] Is this possible - List input to inlets other than the leftmost...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 12 21:12:34 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> From reading some of the docs, I got the impression that it is NOT
> possible to have any subsequent inlets allow for list input? Is this
> correct? Do you know why this is? I have some ideas that I would like
> to implement with lists on the second and third inlets...

You need to make "proxy inlets", which use extra objects that are t_pd but
not t_gobj (there's no interdiction, but there's no point). Those objects
are not considered as part of the patch, as each of them is hidden behind
the inlet that it represents. Those objects normally keep a pointer to the
master object, which owns the first inlet. If you want all inlets to
behave the same, you can avoid some duplication by using CLASS_NOINLET.

> If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are probably right.
> ?Mark Twain

I think it would be appropriate to limit yourself to one quote per email.