[PD-dev] redirecting stderr in Tcl to the Pd window

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 13 00:30:27 CET 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I really want to redirect the messages sent from tclspace/pd-gui
>> to the Pd window so I don't have to start Pd from the command line
>> to get all the debug messages. Anyone have some insight on
>> redirecting stderr in Tcl?  I looked a bit and having found the
>> answer yet.
>
> Afaik, pd.tk does not write to stderr, so, there is no point in
> doing this. What do you want to redirect instead?

It does write somethings to stderr

hans at palatschinken.local:~/Desktop > grep stderr ~/code/pure-data/pd-
MAIN/src/u_main.tk
         puts stderr {setting pd_guidir to '.'}
# puts stderr [bind all]
         puts stderr [format "open %s" $filename]
                 puts stderr "menu_doc_browser non-directory $dir\n"
                         puts stderr "doc_make_listbox: error listing
$dir\n"
                         puts stderr "Could not open $pd_guidir/
$subdir/$file\n"
[snip]

Basically, the idea is to have every debug message go to the Pd window.

----

scarcity."        -John Gilmore