[PD-dev] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Connecting up an SQL Database to PD

jamie at postlude.co.uk jamie at postlude.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 12:01:17 CET 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Jamie Bullock hat gesagt: // Jamie Bullock wrote:
>
>> > I would think that making it such that it acted like 'textfile', that
>> > with each bang sent to the sql object, that it would return each
>> > subsequent row, and once the end of that set is reached, it would
>> > output a bang on a second outlet, similar to what 'textfile' does.
>> >

>> Good idea! I'll add that too.
>
> Actually I thought about this, too, but I'm not sure if it's really
> useful. One of the strengths of SQL is, that you can limit the result
> set manually. So if I'd want one row at a time, I'd design my SQL
> query as such using LIMIT, and if I want more rows, I'd just use a
> different LIMIT clause. Hardcoding this into the SQL class in my view
> doesn't make much sense. (Using the last outlet to signal the end of
> results like in [textfile] does make sense, though.)

I agree. When I said "I'll add that too", I actually meant the 'bang on
end of results from each query' functionality, not the 'output one line as
list' a la [textfile]. If people want that, they can just do:

[psql]

[list prepend add]

[textfile]

...and then take advantage of the wonderful facilities offered by [textfile]!

Jamie