[PD-dev] Pd Strings

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Nov 14 05:57:06 CET 2007

Hi,

I have deleted Miller's reply where he said that he's not that interested
in adding a string type to Pd, but I'd like to ask him a couple of
questions regarding that response, if that's ok.

1. How do you propose to solve the 'spaces in file path' issue without a
string type? Or are you content with that restriction?

2. How do you suggest that people deal with the symbol table pollution
issue mentioned before on this list, when they are doing operations
processing lots and lots of symbol-strings in Pd? Let me know if you
want more information about this issue.

3. Will a [symbol2list] ever make it into Pd canonical so that people
can split long symbols on a character, like the zexy external that does
this? It seems strange that you can concatenate symbols, but not split
them apart again.

4. Can anyone else help me with a concise summary of other string/Pd
issues I haven't thought of?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Best,

Chris.