[PD-dev] redirecting stderr in Tcl to the Pd window

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 14 17:23:56 CET 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:11 AM, federico wrote:

>>> Afaik, pd.tk does not write to stderr, so, there is no point in
>>> doing this. What do you want to redirect instead?
>>
>> It does write somethings to stderr
>>
>> hans at palatschinken.local:~/Desktop > grep stderr ~/code/pure-data/pd-
>> MAIN/src/u_main.tk
>>          puts stderr {setting pd_guidir to '.'}
>> # puts stderr [bind all]
>>          puts stderr [format "open %s" $filename]
>>                  puts stderr "menu_doc_browser non-directory $dir\n"
>>                          puts stderr "doc_make_listbox: error listing
>> $dir\n"
>>                          puts stderr "Could not open $pd_guidir/
>> $subdir/$file\n"
>> [snip]
>>
>> Basically, the idea is to have every debug message go to the Pd
>> window.
>

> then you should use the post() function (in C), wrapped by poststring2
> in tcl, wrapped again by pd::post in pdlib.tcl.
>
> if the user wants stuff printed to stderr, pd has a -stderr
> commandline switch, and all it's handled by post.

What I want is to redirect error messages from Tk widgets to the Pd
window.  They are already posting to stderr, I don't think I can
change that.

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.