[PD-dev] cvs update time

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 16 20:50:32 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Steffen Juul wrote:

> I update my copy of the CVS repo from time to time, at least one each
> two weeks. But it always take what feels quite a while even though
> there is not much to update (judged my the amount of activity on pd-
> cvs list).
> I just meassured it to 4m30.791s this time.
> Question(s). Is that normal? Is there ways to make it only update
> what needs updating? - It like it updates every thing.

It's actually not updating everything, unless your way of updating is to
make a new checkout. It may help to use the -z9 option to compress the CVS
connection, but I don't know whether it makes a difference there. It
depends on whether the time is mostly spent sending data around or mostly
spent scanning hard disk(s).