[PD-dev] widdling away "flatspace"

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 25 21:02:50 CET 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>

>>> What does the Debian package have to do with flatspace?
>>>
>> The Debian package pd-externals was built from the "externals/build/
>> src" build system Günter set up years ago.  The "flatspace" lib in Pd-
>> extended is the contents of that build system.
>>

> I know that both flatspace and the pd-externals deb are using the old build
> system, but I don't see how the existence or non-existence of the deb
> would influence the existence of flatspace in pd-extended. Maybe it
> has to do with some quantum physics entanglement issue, I didn't
> understand? ;)
>
> Anyway if all externals from flatspace are also included in other
> subdirectories of pd-extended then I don't see why pd-extended would
> need a flatspace. But I'm no pd-extended user, so probably someone
> else should comment.

I use pd-extended and I think it would be a lot easier to use if
_everything_ was in flatspace so I don't have to rewrite all my objects
with the directory prefix and manually track down the help files. For
example all the stuff in mrpeach could just as easily be in flatspace
since none of it depends on anything else, there is no library file they
all need except for pd itself. If any name conflicts arise I would just
rename the offending objects.
(Also I think the proper term is "whittling" which is like shaving wood
from a stick, not "widdling" which is like urinating in a dribbly
fashion ;))

Martin