[PD-dev] widdling away "flatspace"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 25 23:44:43 CET 2007

Hallo,
Martin Peach hat gesagt: // Martin Peach wrote:

> I use pd-extended and I think it would be a lot easier to use if
> _everything_ was in flatspace so I don't have to rewrite all my objects
> with the directory prefix and manually track down the help files. For
> example all the stuff in mrpeach could just as easily be in flatspace
> since none of it depends on anything else, there is no library file they
> all need except for pd itself. If any name conflicts arise I would just
> rename the offending objects.

That actually was the approach of the original, pre-pd-extened build
system in the CVS: Instead of including all versions of an objectclass
name, only one would be chosen to be included in the build system and
in releases. Pd-extended instead opted to use a build and packaging
system that could include all versions of, say, [gate] , but put them
in different subdirectories. The side effect is that now everything is
in subdirectories and it's hard to tell, which [gate] you mean if you
just write [gate].

Ciao