[PD-dev] long messages

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 26 22:44:18 CET 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> I used lists of 230400 elements for sure, but I might have also tried 921600
> elements. This was with [#export_list]. With [pix_dump], I remember that it
> has problems with that. When I made [#export_pix] and [#import_pix], I was
> comparing with an implementation that involves [pix_data], and I had to fudge
> it because some of my lists were too long for [pix_data].

er, the problem is in either [pix_data] or [pix_dump] or both, I don't
recall. I don't see the problem in the source code of either. The next
step would be to check whether Gem has a global limit of number elements
per list.

However, something really weird that I just found, is that [pix_data]'s
grey outlet does not do any weighting. It should compute grey as 30% of
the red plus 59% of the green plus 11% of the blue, but it just takes each
as one third. You can see whose percentages are correct by drawing
coloured squares surrounded by grey squares that are supposed to be
greyscale versions of the colours. The right weighting will make the
transition look much less discontinuous. (gamma issues may get messy here)