[PD-dev] cygwin build (was:Re: [PD] pdlua compiling on mac)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 30 21:31:03 CET 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Patrice Colet wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>

>> If you want to build Pd and externals with Cygwin, you'll have to
>> add some stuff to the build system.  No one has done it before.
>> Pd-extended is built with MinGW/msys on Windows.
>

> I've built pd and some externals with mingw, it needs
> makefile.mingw for pd, but it would be nice if the main makefile
> would do the job...

Yes!!  I worked on that some, but I basically never touch Windows
these days, so it never got done.  It would be awesome if you took
this on.  I think I still remember the issues, so I might be able to
assist in some way.

It is most definitely possible to build Pd on MinGW and Cygwin
using ./configure && make.  In fact, I think doing the work to
support one would basically be doing the work to support the other,
besides a few minor differences.

The Pd code is already building with MinGW well, the last thing is to
fix pd/src/makefile.in and pd/src/configure.in to work with MinGW.
Cygwin will need a couple fixes in the C sources, as you are
discovering :), but it should not be too difficult.

.hc

> Anyway, I'm more interested about using cygwin for some reasons,
> it's easy to install it and all dependances, and we can use Qt/X11
> inside....
>
> > On Nov 28, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Patrice Colet wrote:
>
> >> makefile.dependencies
> >> d_osc.c:39:2: #error No byte order defined
> >> d_array.c:527:2: #error No byte order defined
> >> make: *** [makefile.dependencies] Erreur 1
>

> I've just added #include <sys/param.h> into d-osc.c and d_array.c
> to resolve this because this is where BYTE_ORDER is defined.
>
> Now I get another error, API_DEFSTRING from s_main.c:359 isn't
> declared,  I could find out how to resolve this and juste removed
> the variable to go further... and got another error: statbuf isn't
> declared as well.
>
> It seems that the build system misses something like "#ifdef
> CYGWIN" somewhere, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it.

----

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said,
hobbling away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out
another pink-collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf