[PD-dev] compile pd with cygwin

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 3 20:08:11 CET 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 4:00 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Also, it's key to point out that the standard macro is NOT
>> "WIN32",  but rather "_WIN32". For whatever reason, the leading
>> underscore is  needed.
>
> the leading underscore denotes that this define is "private" by the
> preprocessor, and thus should NOT be defined manually by the user.
>
> Some compilers define WIN32 also, but it's not guaranteed.
>
> the reverse as above: since preprocessors automatically define
> names _with_ leading underscores, they "should rather not" define
> names without leading underscores.
>

>> _WIN32 is the one that is defined everywhere (MSVC, MinGW,
>> Cygwin,  Borland, ICC).
>

> apart from that, i think it would be ok to use MSW (or any other
> self-defined word) if the _WIN32, WIN32 and __WIN32 magic is
> handled in a centralized way (e.g. m_pd.h)

Why add something different if _WIN32 already exists and is
automatically defined by all the compilers we use?

----

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler