[PD-dev] Lua object help-path strangeness

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 5 02:02:31 CET 2007

Hi,

there is something strange going on with help-file searching for Lua
objects, but it's probably not related to Lua objects alone. Here's
what happens: I have a lua class, say helloworld.lua from pdlua's
"examples" directory, and a help-file next to it, helloworld-help.pd.

Now I start pd with "-lib lua -path path/to/examples/", create a
[helloworld] object and try to select it's context-help. Pd then
complains:

 sorry, couldn't find help patch for "helloworld.pd"

although helloworld-help.pd is next to helloworld.lua. For
e.g. abstractions this works as you all know. But for Lua objects I
must add the "path/to/examples/" to -helppath to be able to find the
help files.

This doesn't seem to be specific to Lua: pdlua doesn't do anything
regarding help file searches at all, "grep help pdlua/src/*" yields no
results. So Claude and I suspect it's something with the loader
functionality. Can someone comment on this?

Ciao