[PD-dev] autoconf renovation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 5 04:06:28 CET 2007

Hey,

I thought I'd move this to the pd-dev list since it allows for easier
discussion.

We could definitely use some help with autoconf/make stuff.
Basically, there has been some talk about making an unified autoconf
build system for the "externals" section for a while.  This section
is maintained directly in CVS, so it's easy to work on.

The core "pd/src" section could probably use some help with the
autoconf stuff, but that is maintained in Miller's private git and
the patch tracker, so that would be much more work to work on.  Also,
we'll have to hear from Miller to see if he is interested in any
major improvements there.

Right now, in the 'externals' section, there are many build systems
for different sections that reflect the build systems that the given
dev used before importing the code into CVS.  A couple of these use
their own private autoconf setups (pdstring, pdp, pidip, zexy, OSCx,
and probably others).  I personally think that there should be one
central autoconf system for everything.

For any of the code that I am responsible for (hcs, mapping,
tkwidgets, smlib) I am completely open to changes.  Other sections
having varying statuses, like some are imports from other
repositories (like pdp) so it is probably best to leave those as is.
I think the best plan would be for you to layout the structure of the
autoconf and recursive makefiles, then the gaps can be filled in
following by example.

>> Comment By: Russell Bryant (russellbryant)
> Date: 2007-12-04 16:32
>
> Message:
> Logged In: YES
> user_id=1942915
> Originator: YES
>
> That's fine.  Feel free to close this out.  However, if the
> Makefile isn't
> really used, maybe it could just be removed.  :)
>
> In fact, I much prefer a centralized common build system.  You say
> that it
> needs work.  I don't mind helping out with that a bit, as I have (for
> better or worse) had a decent amount of experience with gnu make and
> autoconf.

> Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
> Date: 2007-12-04 16:17
>
> Message:
> Logged In: YES
> user_id=27104
> Originator: NO
>

> That makefile isn't used much any more.  Most of the time, things are
> built using the centralized Makefile in externals/Makefile.  This
> centralized thing isn't the best system, it definitely needs work,
> but it
> works for the most part.

> You can respond by visiting:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
> func=detail&atid=478072&aid=1842833&group_id=55736

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith