[PD-dev] Troubleshooting suggestions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 5 10:34:27 CET 2007

Mike McGonagle wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a patch that has started to cause a crash in PD. In trying to
> figure out exactly what is happening, I reworked the patch, and now each
> of the smaller chunks of code are in their own subpatch. So, now the
> patch doesn't ALWAYS crash. Now the only time it crashes is when I open
> the subpatch containing the offending code, BUT only after that code has
> been executed at least once.
>
> Lets see if I can give an outline...
>
> 1. Open the patch.
> 2. Setup the patch for operation.
> 3. Call the subpatch that appears to be cause trouble. Everything
> executes properly and does what it is supposed to do.
> 4. Open the subpatch that contains the troublesome code, and PD crashes
> before it can display the patch.

> Thread 0 Crashed:
> 0   pd                             0x0003cbb0 obj_noutlets + 16
> (m_obj.c:549)
> 1   pd                             0x0000ca0c glist_drawiofor + 76

so  pd is crashing when it tries to draw an object (most likely: a
certain object)

since it is unlikely that a "normal object" (no gui, no gop) will cause
the crash (though not impossible; i only assume so, because if it was
the case, we would get this bug report more often), so it would be
interesting to know which graphical objects are hidden in your subpatch.

apart from that, like always: sharing code could help...

mfgasd.r
IOhannes