[PD-dev] Lua object help-path strangeness

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Dec 5 17:57:01 CET 2007

Hi Frank, all,

Frank Barknecht wrote:
 > This doesn't seem to be specific to Lua: pdlua doesn't do anything
 > regarding help file searches at all, "grep help pdlua/src/*" yields no
 > results. So Claude and I suspect it's something with the loader
 > functionality. Can someone comment on this?

I did some digging through Pd's source code, specifically s_loader.c,
and found the trick to make things loaded by loaders find help patches:

----8<----
   /* defined in m_class.c but not exported. */
   void class_set_extern_dir(t_symbol *);
----8<----

Use it like this:

----8<----
   fd = canvas_open(canvas, name, ".lua", dirbuf, &ptr, MAXPDSTRING, 1);
   if (fd >= 0) {
     class_set_extern_dir(gensym(dirbuf));
     /* Lua-specific loader stuff goes here. */
     class_set_extern_dir(&s_);
   }

Seems to work here, at least it finds help patches correctly now.  In
pdlua SVN at revision 496.

This is with pd-0.40-3 from Miller's site on Linux, fwiw.

Thanks,

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org