[PD-dev] auto build bug and questions

chun at goto10.org chun at goto10.org
Sat Dec 8 02:01:08 CET 2007

hi Hans:

> If you don't mind, maybe we could do these email discussions on pd-
> dev, so that it's recorded and others can chime in and/or learn from
> it.  I am also still up for doing IRC meetings for things too.

sure, so i cc this reply to the list.

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:15 PM, chun at goto10.org wrote:
>
>> hi Hans:
>>
>> hope you are well.
>>
>> i finally got time to play with the auto build system, its really
>> impressive:) good stuff!
>
> Glad you think it is useful.  It works, but it's pretty hacked
> together.  So if you want to make improvements, I am all for it, and
> I'll help where I can.
>
>> just have a bug and few questions for now.
>>
>> my starting point was a empty directory that contains cvs checkouts
>> of:
>>
>> abstractions  doc  extensions  externals packages  pd  scripts
>
> You'll need to check out Gem from the pd-gem CVS currently.  For the
> next pd-extended release, I am planning on importing a stable version
> of the Gem sources into branch-v0-40-extended in pure-data CVS, then
> building it from there.

ok i see.

>> then i ran pd-puredyne-auto-builder.sh.
>>
>> first question: i had to checkout Gem and GemLibs by hand for the
>> script
>> to build Gem, is there another script that can take care of
>> fetching this?
>> is this meant to be taken cared by the rsync?
>
> For the autobuilds, it's handled by rsync.  Looking at the rsync
> source files, they are there:
>
> pd at debian-stable-i386:pd-puredyne > pwd
> /home/pd/rsync/pd-puredyne
> pd at debian-stable-i386:pd-puredyne > ls -l
> total 36
> drwxr-xr-x 13 pd pd 4096 Jun  7  2007 Gem/
> drwxr-xr-x  7 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:05 GemLibs/
> drwxr-xr-x 24 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:04 abstractions/
> drwxr-xr-x  8 pd pd 4096 May 16  2007 doc/
> drwxr-xr-x  5 pd pd 4096 Sep 25  2006 extensions/
> drwxr-xr-x 83 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:05 externals/
> drwxr-xr-x  9 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:05 packages/
> drwxr-xr-x 12 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:05 pd/
> drwxr-xr-x  6 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 10:05 scripts/
>
> They are also being rsynced to the Debian/testing build machine:
>
> pd at debian-testing-i386:pd > cd /home/pd/auto-build/pd-puredyne/
> pd at debian-testing-i386:pd-puredyne > ls -l
> total 36
> drwxr-xr-x 13 pd pd 4096 Jun  7  2007 Gem/
> drwxr-xr-x  7 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:37 GemLibs/
> drwxr-xr-x 24 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:36 abstractions/
> drwxr-xr-x  8 pd pd 4096 May 16  2007 doc/
> drwxr-xr-x  5 pd pd 4096 Sep 25  2006 extensions/
> drwxr-xr-x 83 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:37 externals/
> drwxr-xr-x  9 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:37 packages/
> drwxr-xr-x 12 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:37 pd/
> drwxr-xr-x  6 pd pd 4096 Dec  7 01:37 scripts/
>
> There are two scripts that handle this if you want to do it manually
> on your own machine:
>
> pure-data/scripts/checkout-developer-layout.sh
> pure-data/scripts/update-developer-layout.sh

yes, i took a brief look at the above scripts, i will have another looks
again.

> The last one is actually used to update the rsync source files every
> night on the main server (debian-stable-i386/128.238.56.50).
>

>> then, everything works fine. however, pidip failed to build
>> (because of
>> the dependency), but the script carries on, which leads to an error
>> at the
>> end that complains that there is no pidip/*.pd_linux. which i guess
>> the
>> auto build script should have existed with error when pidip failed to
>> build, instead of right at the end when installing.
>
> My guess is that pidip is failing because pdp maybe failed.
> Otherwise, maybe there is a pidip dependency missing on the machine
> you are building on.  Everything is building on debian-testing-i386,
> so all the needed deps are in Debian.

yes, it was a dependency problem. but i was reporting that the built
script should have exited (at the ./configure stage) with an error instead
of carried on and exited at the install stage.

cheers

chun