[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 18 10:35:37 CET 2007

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo Russell !
>
>> I really don't intend to start a SCM war here, but has the discussion of
>> switching to using svn on sourceforge instead of cvs ever come up before?
>
> This was discussed many many times before and at the pd-convention it
> was decided to switch to SVN.

i would rather say: it was decided that if somebody volunteers to do the
work, nobody will object.

i volunteered to do the work.
after fruitless discussions, i decided to not push the switch any more.
(though i still would like to work with subversion)

the main counter-argument against svn was, that everything that cannot
be done with CVS was considered as "experimental" and "should not be
used", in which case i don't see a reason to do the work.

> So yes, this will be done AFAIR.

or rather, no, it won't be done AFAIK.

i am currently thinking of starting an svn-repository in parallel to the
CVS-repository (both at sourceforge) and whoever wants to move over
should just do it, and leave a notice in the CVS, that the content has
moved.

mfa.sdr
IOhannes