[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Wed Dec 26 20:19:39 CET 2007

IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> the separate externals reflect the separate developments by separate
> (groups of) people.
> there is no "official" externals-package that are to be packaged
> together, even though pd-extended makes it look like this; but
> pd-extended is "yet another project" that is targetted at a big
> get-everything package: which is fine from an end-user point-of-view,
> but not necessarily from a developer's point-of-view.

Yes, I do agree that it makes sense to fit the tool to the desired model of
devleopment, and not fit development to the tool ...

> my initial arguing was, that for packages (like pd-extended) one could
> create a bundle (e.g. svn:externals) that aggragates everything needed
> in another subfolder.
> back then (search the archives for "svn migration" or similar in
> 2007-09) the the answer to this was: "we should not beta-test
> experimental features of svn" (this is what i was alluding to in my
> first response to this thread)

Ah, ok.  Well, in my opinion, svn:externals works great.  I have been using it
heavily for the past couple of years with various projects and have not had any
problems.

--
Russell