[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 2 05:30:10 CET 2008

I think we are in agreement with that the CVS should be a place to
gather things too, these things are not mutually exclusive.  I don't
see any substantial advantage to maintaining parallel build systems.
I think ideally, there would be a common build system, so that people
can just plug their stuff into it and not have to worry about writing
their own build system, porting to various platforms, etc.

The Pd-extended build system does this to some degree, but definitely
could be improved a lot.  Currently if you want to build just one
section using a common build system, say sigpack, you can do this:

cvs co pd externals/Makefile externals/sigpack packages/
Makefile.buildlayout
cd externals
make sigpack && make sigpack_install

or this:

cvs co pd externals/Makefile externals/sigpack packages/
Makefile.buildlayout
cd externals/sigpack
make && make install

As for using svn:externals for reorganizing build systems, that seems
to just be creating more work for each custom distro.  I think this
would be much better handled using a common autoconf system, so you
could do something like:

cd externals
./configure --disable-all-externals --enable-iemmatrix --enable-zexy
make && make install

Then you'd get a custom build of the whole thing with no SVN trickery
needed.

.hc