[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 2 11:56:42 CET 2008

hi.

happy new year and another round in this oroborus...

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> The Pd-extended build system does this to some degree, but definitely
> could be improved a lot.  Currently if you want to build just one
> section using a common build system, say sigpack, you can do this:
>
> cvs co pd externals/Makefile externals/sigpack packages/
> Makefile.buildlayout
> cd externals
> make sigpack && make sigpack_install

now this does not look very cute to me.

> or this:
>
> cvs co pd externals/Makefile externals/sigpack packages/
> Makefile.buildlayout
> cd externals/sigpack
> make && make install

i would prefer something like:
  cvs co externals/sigpack -d sigpack
  make -C sigpack install

i still don't see a reason for having ./packages

i don't think that all this does contradict your request for devs not
having to worry about their build-system.

i have said this many times before, but do not get tired to re-iterate.
for the joys of january, i rephrase it:
not having to worry about the build-system does not mean that we have to
maintain a centralized monolithic one.
what i think, is that the current "build-system for all" is a _first
attempt_ in doing it correctly. like so many first attempts, it is
basically a dead end.

it cannot be changed because much work has been done to get it as far as
it got, and now there is the angst that all the energy would have been
spent in vain.

angst is a bad advisor.

nfa,sdr
IOhannes