[PD-dev] "declare" strangeness in abstractions (0.41 test10)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 5 18:28:20 CET 2008

Hi,

I checked out the behaviour of [declare] in the latest test version,
which supposedly should have some fixes according to the release
notes:

  Fixed "declare" which wasn't working properly yet in 0.40-0, and made
  more objects (notably "soundfiler") respect "declared" paths. Path
  entries are relative to the parent patch. Declares inside abstractions
  are ignored.

Now I'm not sure, if simply ignoring declares in abstractions is the
right thing (tm) to do. Using the declare-bug.tgz examples from Bug
#1714473 I now cannot make abstractions evaluate declares anymore.
This seems to be intended, but why?

The example uses an abstraction, "myabs/test-patch-with-deep-declare"
that includes an instance of [abuse-me], which by [declare -path
./sub] inside "myabs/test-patch-with-deep-declare.pd" should be taken
from "myabs/sub/abuse-me.pd". But, alas, this isn't found and thus
"myabs/test-patch-with-deep-declare" is broken. Opening
"myabs/test-patch-with-deep-declare.pd" directly will make it find the
correct abuse-me.pd in myabs/sub/abuse-me.pd

I believe, the correct behaviour would be to not ignore the declares
in abstractions, but make them act relative to the abstraction's path.

Otherwise abstractions would behave differently when opened directly
compared to when used as abstractions, which I think is very
confusing.

Ciao