[PD-dev] "declare" strangeness in abstractions (0.41 test10)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 6 06:03:00 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 10:32 -0800, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I hope nobody is yet throwing "declare" objects in abstractions, as that
> currently does something so wrong (altering the global path for the calling
> patch!?) that I thought it better to get rid of the whole thing for now.

yes, i am using [declare]s in abstractions (using the flag -stdlib).

are [declare]s in abstractions ignored completely or just the flags
'-path' and '-stdpath'? i would expect [declare -[std]lib xxx] to be
common practice within abstractions, since it's an odd thing to be
forced in the parent patch to keep track of the externals used in its
abstractions.

besides that, i agree with frank, that it makes using [declare <whatever
flag>] very troublesome, if it makes the patch behave differently when
loaded as patch from when loaded as an abstraction.  although i couldn't
find something in the docu saying explicitly that abstractions always
behave the same as if they were opened as a patch, i know of some
projects (including netpd) that implicitly rely on this rule. personally
i think that breaking this rule introduces willingly an inconsistency.

i strongly hope that [declare] is going to be fixed sooner or later and
by saying that, i hope that it would work in abstractions as well,
namely in a manner, that frank described in his very last mail.

roman