[PD-dev] pd-extended loadlib request

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Thu Jan 17 00:36:45 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> With Pd-extended, the goal is to use the libdir format for everything,
> then making sure that the libdir format is well supported.  The first
> part is almost done, there are only a handful of exceptions (Gem, PDP,
> PiDiP...), the second part is a work in progress.
>
> I don't necessarily object to including this autoload functionality, but
> I wouldn't use it at all in Pd-extended.  Here's the way I think this
> should work in the near future:
>
> - use a default preferences file to load the libs in the same order on
> all platforms.
>
> - allow patch-local namespaces which can override the global namespace.
> This will allow people to load libs in a custom order without having to
> change the default preferences.
>
> The part that remains to be seen is whether the global namespace should
> have no libraries loaded by default, like Java, etc. do, or whether it
> is ok to have a standard set of libs loaded by default.  The later would
> be easier for newbies, but may cause more headaches with distribution
> and name clashes.

Ok, well this discussion gives me the answer I was looking for.  The patch isn't
  obviously beneficial or even desired.  I'm going to close the issue out for
now, and maybe I can come up with something different in the future when I have
a better understanding of all of the issues involved.

Thanks for the feedback,

--
Russell Bryant