[PD-dev] pd-extended loadlib request

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 23 22:24:09 CET 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:00 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Georg Holzmann wrote:
>> IOhannes m zmoelnig schrieb:
>>>
>>> what is the problem with aliases?
>>> somebody (georg) has created an alias folder some time ago for
>>> iemmatrix.
>> Yes, at least when I made this alias folder iemmatrix it did work
>> quite well.
>> I also made aliases for iemlib and some more stuff from iem ... so
>> I don't see a problem ...
>> (I agree that maybe in future we should avoid aliases)
>
> what is wrong with aliases? why should they be avoided?
> do you prefer [f] or [float]?

They are not consistently implemented, so they can cause confusion.
Symbols that are selectors and classnames should be consistent
everywhere "s" does not mean the same thing everywhere while "send"
and "symbol" do.  [f 123( and [s blah( don't work.  Those are a
couple examples.

I think they were only added to Max/Pd as typing shortcuts, which is
very weak argument in favor of them.  I am not saying we should
remove them, but I think they should be avoided as a matter of
convention.

What other programming language has aliases?

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli