[PD-dev] pd-extended loadlib request

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sat Jan 26 00:48:26 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> What other programming language has aliases?
>> Ruby accepts both 'indices' and 'indexes' as selectors in the Array
>> and Hash classes. Ruby has 'alias' as a reserved word.
>>

> I mean aliases for functions.  I know of no programming language
> besides Pd (and maybe Max) that has multiple names for functions that
> do the exact same thing.

In most languages, you can define your own *local* names/aliases:

C:
   typedef double (*function)(double);
   function foo = sin;

Lua:
   local foo = somepackage.somefunction

Haskell:
   foo = Module.function

I think most agree that global aliases don't really add much, but local
aliases, ie, per "module" or smaller unit (which in Pd would be per
abstraction) are very useful.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org